January 13, 2012

Is technology actually hindering us?

No, this is not another blog about how we need to get rid of technology or use it less. I am not an advocate for abolishing technology. I use a smartphone, I have internet, and I am on sites like Facebook and Twitter. I see that it has great benefit and enjoy doing my best to take advantage of those benefits.

Yet, here’s something that I think we should consider.

Some use technology to build their own “little world” and seem to stay in that “little world” even if they don’t mean to do so. Here are some examples:

Years ago, if you went to a gym, the only music you could listen to was what the gym was playing. Now most people bring their own music and earphones (using their smartphone, ipod, generic mp3 players, etc). By doing so they make their “little world” consist of themselves, their music, and whatever is immediately in front of them. I recently saw this when a guy at the gym exchanged greetings with me. However, immediately after saying he said “hi,” I asked if he would mind if I turned on the main radio. He answered the question by the fact that he didn’t hear the question since he was listening to his ipod.

Years ago, we didn’t have cell phones and text messaging. Now people do, and many seem addicted to either talking on them or texting on them. Oftentimes, when I’m waiting for something out in public, riding public transportation, or things such as that, I notice that many around me are on their cell phones, talking or texting. By doing so they make their “little world” consist of themselves and the person to whom they are actively communicating to on the cell phone. I’ve even heard of some who have been on their phone in a store while ringing up their groceries. If that wasn’t bad enough, they then got annoyed with the cashier since they had to stop their cell phone conversation to finish paying for their items.

Could I also play music through my smartphone and earphones when I go the gym? Yes. Could I also text someone or talk with someone on the phone while I wait for something in a public place? Yes. But I choose not to so that I can have more opportunities to engage in conversations.

Instead of letting cell phones and the like trap us in a “little world,” put it down, pause it, and look around at the “big world” we live in. Say more than hi to someone. Start a conversation with someone. Perhaps after you get home, while listening to your music, you can then call or text that person you normally would and let them know about the new person you met and the interesting conversation you had with them.


PS – Adding to this pet peeve is the fact that all of this also hinders the sharing of the Gospel. If we cannot start a conversation with the person, since they are constantly on their ipods or cell phones, how can we share the good news of the Gospel? If anyone has any ideas on how we can better reach people who are in their own “little world” with the Gospel, please let me know. You can even leave it in the comments below.

1 comment:

  1. Good thoughts Bill, totally agree with you!

    ReplyDelete